Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Initial Proposal

I have my own room for the first time since coming to college, and I don’t have any seating for guests to sit on when they visit my room. This is not just my problem, but a thought that crosses anyone’s mind when they want to invite people to hangout in their room. People are more likely to stay and relax if a chair invites them into the room. If no seating exists, they feel like they don’t belong and usually shortly leave. I’m interested in the social psychology of what makes a chair “inviting” and exploring many kinds of seating arrangements that can stand alone or be connected to create a large seating arrangement. In addition, in your early twenties, you are constantly moving from dorm to dorm, from apartment to apartment and rooms are generally small. I’d like to create a seating arrangement that can be easily built and taken apart and that has a space efficient form.

I am inspired by nomadic furniture, and I want to create a wooden seating structure that can be easily transported, space efficient when taken apart and very functional. I’m interested in exploring wooden furniture made from pieces that are connected by slits. My medium of choice is wood because I love how wood feels like and looks like. My vision is having a modular seating arrangement a person can take apart one piece to sit on separately, or can connect a bunch of pieces to create something more like a bench arrangement.

Here are some links that inspired me:


Idea 1: seating arrangement, modular stools, bench, etc.
Where? Bedroom, dorm room
Function? Easy to transport/take apart/build, seats multiple people, multiple sizes/formations
Who? People who live in tight spaces or move a lot or like to be space efficient

Plan of Action (not in any particular order)
·        Talk to people about: what makes a chair inviting, what features are important to people for let’s say a “dorm room” chair, how do people choose where to sit when they enter a room? Social rooms vs. not social rooms
·        Explore woodworking, find woodworking resources
·        Do research about types of wood
·        Prototyping probably in foam core or cardboard
·        go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment